Pests like cockroaches, spiders, ants, and termites, not only damage your property but also spread infections throughout your surrounding. The best way to get rid of the pests who belong to your house just to call pest control services. But before you go ahead and book pest control services, try out these top 10 pest control tips to get rid of pests and keep your house clean and disease-free.
1. Keep the cooking area clean
- Pests grow in a dirty and moist atmosphere. To avoid pest infestation, keep the kitchen counters, racks, stove-top, and drawers properly clean.
- Clean the kitchen regularly with a disinfectant cleaner. Also, if food particles are lying out in the open area of the kitchen or anywhere then they will attract pests.
- These pest control tips may not eliminate pest problems, but it will surely reduce the number of pests from your house.
- Cleaning after pest control is very much important as it makes sure your house doesn’t get infected soon by the pests.
2. Keep the bathroom regularly clean
- Most pest control tips for apartments don’t include pest control tips and tricks for the bathroom area.
- Always keep your bathroom area clean and dry and use a toilet cleaner to clean the pot every alternate day. Clean the sink at least once a week with a heavy-duty bathroom cleaner.
- Keep the shower curtain dry and free of moisture. Make sure the drain is not clogged with hair and dust particles and is always covered.
- These small steps will keep the bathroom hygienic and pest free for a longer time.
3. Do not allow water to still
- Pests like mosquitoes breed in stagnant water. Clean the area around your house and make sure you get the drains running outside your house cleaned properly as dirty water in the drains can cause mosquito-borne diseases like dengue and malaria.
- If you have an air-conditioner that releases water then keep a vessel under it to collect water and protect it from spreading.
- To ensure there is absolutely no stagnant water anywhere near or in your house. If you are wondering how to do pest control at home by yourself, you can follow some basic steps to get rid of these pests.
4. Clean and always trim the garden
- If you have a lawn or a garden, fill in holes or pits where water can accumulate.
- Also, prune the plants regularly to avoid wild, bushy growths.
- Maintain your garden, keep it neat and clean to avoid unwanted pests like mosquitoes, rats, and ants.
5. Don’t keep cut fruits and vegetables out
- Fruits and vegetables are when overripe and cut then they attract flies and other insects largely.
- Avoid keeping cut and ripe fruits out of the fridge for long.
- Rotten fruits can also attract bigger pests like house flies, ants, and cockroaches which are difficult to get rid of easily.
- Garbage should be disposed of every single day as the accumulation of garbage can lead to rats, rodents, and cockroach infestation.
- This gets worse when you find rotten food particles all around the house spread by pests.
- This can lead to the spreading of diseases especially if you have pets and small children in the house.
7. Keep items of external use outside
- If you have a kitchen garden or a lawn, you may likely have furniture, shoes, buckets and other objects specifically meant for gardening purposes.
- Keep the unusable objects outdoors and try not to use them for indoor purposes before cleaning them deeply and thoroughly.
- The same applies to toys such as battery-operated cars, bicycles, etc that your kids may use outdoors to keep them clean and dry.
- Keep all the items secured in the garage or any other outdoor area and ask your kids not to bring them indoors.
8. Fix nets or glass shield on windows
- Fix shields or fine nets on your windows to prevent pests such as house flies, mosquitoes, spiders, and pests from coming in.
- These shields will not only help with ventilation but also prevent pests from entering.
- This is a pretty effective way to keep pests out of your house. Also, if there are any broken window glasses, repair them at the earliest to prevent insects from entering.
- Check all the doors of the house too which carry out repairs, if necessary, to make your measures more effective.
9. Dispose of things you don’t need
- An important pest control tip is to declutter your house after an interval time.
- If you have trash or unused boxes kept inside the house gathering dust.
- These items will only serve as hot spots for insects and pests. Sell or throw away all of these old items, including old baby strollers, shoes, packaging material, plastic bags, torn luggage, etc.
- If you are finding it difficult to decide whether to throw something or not, ask yourself, Will I use this item in the next three months? If the answer is no, then it’s time to throw it out.
10. Contact a professional pest control service immediately after pest infection
- Pest control treatment reduces the number of pests in your house, you cannot eliminate pests without professional help.
- Professionals are well trained and use verified chemicals and measures to ensure the safety of you and your family.
- Professionals ensure they use safe pesticides and other verified chemicals that don't harm anybody. The new age pest control measures are comparatively safer and less harmful
Also Read Frequently Asked Questions about Pest Control Services and Termite Treatment